Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Welcoming change.

Familiarity is nice.  Familiarity is comforting.

So what's the problem?  It hinders the likelihood of change, adventure, and growth.

I look back on my life and I am grateful that my parents required, at different stages of my life, that I try new and foreign things.  I was put in situations that made me uncomfortable, but it was also these same situations that ended up teaching me invaluable lessons about myself.

My parents instilled in me the idea that being uncomfortable isn't always a bad thing, sometimes it is even necessary.  I like to think that I've taken that lesson to heart.  I've done my best to face change confidently, hoping I might learn something new about myself along the way.

Moving from Colorado, a place of comfort and familiarity, to Indiana, was perhaps one of the greatest changes of my life.  I knew it would not be easy.  I knew I was going to be forced outside of my comfort zone.  I knew I would have to make a whole new set of friends and build brand new relationships.  But I did it anyways.  My parents didn't tell me to, they didn't say it would be good for me.  I left my home.  I left my family.  I left my friends.  I left everything I had ever known and yet, it was the greatest decision I ever made.

I have a new home.  I can no longer rely on the Rocky Mountains to tell me which way is west.   Now I have to determine where Lake Michigan is, and then try to navigate from there.  Lake Michigan does not, for those of you that are unaware, break the surface of land, stretching thousands of feet in the air like say, a mountain range does.  I've been here for eight years now and I still have no idea where Lake Michigan is, unless I'm standing right next to it.  I suppose that, because I am the owner of a beautiful Indiana home, I can overlook these minor flaws in the Indiana landscape, and come to love the Hoosier State.

I have started my own family.  Becoming a wife and promising to love Kyle for the rest of my life has initiated a great deal of change, in both of our lives.  Change that neither one of us anticipated.  Despite the fact that there have not been any new additions to our household, the fact remains that after making those promises to one another and being bound together by God, the two of us have become a family.  Family means a great deal to both of us, and thus our love for one another grew out of the recognition that now we are the other's family.  I love that he is my husband, and I am his wife.  I love that we take care of one another, we actively choose to look past flaws, we forgive more easily, and we never go to bed angry at one another.  It is magical.

I am now Mrs. Becich.  I plan to share with you the stories of a wife, a teacher, a friend, a daughter, a sister and a woman proud of her newest change.

No comments:

Post a Comment