Sunday, October 7, 2012

Sunday frustrations.

Adulthood brings with it both blessings and curses.

One particular curse that I am not fond of is the simple fact that Sundays are no longer a day of rest, but instead they have become an extension of the work week.

While I don't know Him personally, I'm sure God would not be happy.

If I am not grading papers or catching up on school work, I am grocery shopping, cleaning, doing laundry, or some other task that is required by real life.  Because, let's be honest, when else am I going to do these things?

I don't mind errands, but what bothers me is that I HAVE to do school work or else I am, quite possibly, in risk of losing my job.

One of our plan periods was taken away this year, meaning I only have plan every other day.  This cuts down on my ability to grade and actually plan during the school day, leaving me with more to do outside of the school day, time that I am not compensated for in any way.

And yet, the demands of teachers are increasing every time I blink my eyes.  We were told last year that we have two weeks to grade papers and get them back to students.  Seem feasible?  Well, what most don't realize is that every time I collect papers, I'm collecting 100 of them.  Usually those papers range from two to four pages.  I, therefore, have two weeks to not just read, but grade and comment on anywhere from 200 to 400 pages.  If that was all I had to grade, I think I could handle it, but the simple truth is that I have other enriching assignments that are handed in daily.  In a week, I collect at least six assignments, so another 600 pages to grade.

The simple solution would be to get rid of extra work, but I refuse to eliminate assignments that help my students develop the necessary skills required of them to become successful later in life.  Yet, I'm beginning to wonder how I am supposed to do it all.



My frustrations, I've found, are not just my own.

I was speaking with a colleague who told me she had to call someone to babysit her children, on a Sunday, so she could have time to grade papers.

The conclusion?  Something's got to give.

I love my job.  I love teaching.  I love interacting with the students, building relationships.

However, if teachers are not going to be properly compensated for the constantly increasing expectations, the profession will no longer attract the people it should.  We will see more and more excellent teachers, like my dear friend Betty, being forced to choose their families over the teaching profession, a profession that used to be one of the most family-friendly careers.

I am afraid this profession won't improve by the time Kyle and I decide to extend our family.  I'm afraid because I may be forced to say good-bye to something I truly love, for the simple fact that I refuse to let it come before my family.

No comments:

Post a Comment