Thursday, October 4, 2012

A powerful voice.

Today, I wore blue.

Our school asked teachers, students and staff to wear blue as a illustration of our fight against bullying.

As both a teacher and a human being, this is an issue that I do not take lightly.  In my profession, I see the products of bullying every day - students with low self-esteems, slouched shoulders, and quiet voices.  I want to reach out a hug them, to tell them that they are loved and appreciated, but to do so might embarass them or make them uncomfortable.  I can only hope that kinds words and positive reinforcement are enough.


I am grateful that so many powerful people, women especially, have spoken out against bullying. Celebrities like Demi Lovato, the Kardashian sisters, and others are refusing to remain silent.  In refusing to remain silent, their messages are loud and powerful.

One of my favorite pieces of literature that I read with my sophomores is a speech that was given by Elie Wiesel, a survivor of the Holocaust.  In dealing with the greatest bully the world had ever seen, Hitler, Wiesel discusses the importance of speaking up.

He says, "...I explained to him how naive we were, that the world did know and remain silent.  And that is why I swore never to be silent whenever and wherever human beings endure suffering and humiliation.  We must always take sides,  Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim.  Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented."

I wish I could teach this speech over and over again, until students finally realized the power in his message.

I wish I could go back and refuse to remain silent.

The best I can do now is wear blue, hope my actions speak for themselves, and continue to use my voice as a proponent for change.

Will you be a proponent for change too?


No comments:

Post a Comment